One of my absolute favorite recipes to make and freeze is Tuscan Sausage Ragu. It is a relatively easy crockpot recipe with tons of flavor! Be careful when doubling though – it barely fits in my crockpot, and mine is pretty big (I think 7 quarts). I’d definitely try the recipe once before doubling to see how much it fills up your crockpot.
This recipe is wonderful because it not only tastes amazing fresh out of the crockpot; it is even better after being frozen. I love having a Tupperware of this frozen and on-hand for when I’m in the mood for it! It’s so easy to just defrost the ragu and whip up a batch of rice to serve it with.
I adapted this recipe from one on AllRecipe.com http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tuscan-sausage-ragu/
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1 lb. ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 6 ribs celery, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, diced
- ½ cup cabernet sauvignon
- 1 (28 oz.) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained (I usually buy the Red Pack Diced Tomatoes that are pre-seasoned with Basil, Garlic & Oregano. It adds great flavor!)
- 1 (28 oz.) can tomato sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the sweet and hot Italian sausage until browned, about 10 minutes. Break the meat up as it cooks.
- Stir in the onion, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir until the onion is translucent, about 10 more minutes. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Pour red wine into the skillet, and stir to dissolve any pieces of sausage left on the pan. Pour the wine into the slow cooker.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4.5 hours. Pour in the heavy cream, stir, cover, and cook for 1 more hour. Salt to taste and serve over rice.