There’s nothing more refreshing on a warm summer night than a fresh, crisp salad. With oven roasted chicken and a variety of produce, it’s easy and quick to whip up this simple, yet delicious salad! Delectable salads are a staple of my summer diet, and in the warm weather, it’s important to eat clean and fresh to avoid feeling over-full and weighed down with a heavy meal. This recipe is naturally candida cleanse friendly, gluten free, and sans cheese, dairy free, too!
Although I offered up a bunch of suggestions below for ingredients, feel free to add anything you want to your salad, and to leave out any ingredients that don’t appeal to. The other day I sautéed some onions, peppers, and sweet potatoes to put over my salad and it was scrumptious! Fresh fruit, nuts, eggs, and other simple, yet wholesome ingredients are great additions, too. Get experimental and let me know what you put in your salad in the comments below!
Oven Roasted Chicken Breast
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread a thin layer of olive oil onto a glass baking pan.
- Rinse chicken breasts in cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Put chicken breasts in glass baking pan and put 1/2 tbsp of olive oil on each. Massage oil into the chicken.
- Mix the spices together in a small mixing bowl and season both sides of each chicken breast.
- Place chicken in the oven and cook for ten minutes on each side. Check temperature of chicken with a meat thermometer. If it’s at 155-160 degrees, it will be perfect. It should reach an internal temp. of 160 degrees F, but if you take it off about 5 degrees sooner, it will continue to cook while it cools.
- Set chicken aside to cool while you prep the rest of the salad.
Summer Roasted Chicken Salad
- One bulb of fennel, diced
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 small cucumbers, or one medium sized, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 tomato, cut into chunks
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- Several green onions, sliced
- Spring Mix salad greens (or any type of lettuce, really)
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 small can black olives
- Mix all veggies in a large bowl. Don’t feel constrained to the veggies listed above, though, get creative. I made this salad with what was in the fridge and cabinets! Any leftovers that you think might mix well with your salad? Toss ’em in!
- Top your greens and veggies with the oven roasted chicken. Use whatever salad dressing you want (I used a mix of oil, vinegar, and salt) and enjoy!