The other day John and I decided to have shrimp for dinner, but instead of our usual recipe, I decided to try whipping up something new. As a play on southern style shrimp ‘n grits, I created a candida cleanse friendly, gluten free recipe that is really delicious and healthy, it was so good I couldn’t help but share it! In addition to being nutritious, though, the real beauty of this dinner is how quick and easy it is! Try it out and let me know what you think in the comments below.
- 3/4 cup organic polenta or corn grits
- 5 tbsp ghee (or olive oil if you want to be healthier)
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed (i used defrosted frozen ones and they were great!)
- 2 cups steamed squash, cooled (mine were leftovers!)
- 2 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional if you want it to have a kick)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon
- grated parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Bring 3 cups of water, 1/2 tsp. of salt and pepper, and one tbsp. of the ghee to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Once boiling, slowly whisk in the polenta or corn grits. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, until the grits have thickened (less than five minutes).
- As the grits cook, melt remaining 4 tbsp. of ghee in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and add them to the skillet, along with the garlic, parsley, and cayenne pepper. Cook while stirring until the shrimp are about halfway done (2 minutes). Add the steamed squash and continue to stir until the whole dish is simmering and the shrimp look done (about 2-3 more minutes).
- Once the grits and shrimp/squash are done cooking, divide the grits into bowls, and top with the shrimp, squash, and garlicky sauce! Sprinkle with parmesan and serve with lemon wedges. Bon appétit!