John and I have very aggressive savings plans for things that we want to do – like traveling, and one of the ways that we cut on costs is by cooking a lot of our meals at home! Each time we food shop (every other week), I try and incorporate some recipes that include cheaper ingredients – for example, chicken, potatoes, rice, broccoli, etc. In my search to find a recipe that included ingredients such as these, I stumbled upon this recipe on pinterest: here.
Not only is this recipe naturally gluten free, it also had two of my “cheaper” ingredients that I was searching for – potatoes and chicken! And the cherry on top was that it was scrumptious! This was a wonderful, delicious play on a fully loaded baked potato, and we loved it. It is definitely a new add-on to our meal rotation!
Loaded Baked Potato & Chicken Casserole
- 3 – 4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and diced(about 1.5 lbs. or 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp, cooled and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9″ x 9″ baking pan or casserole dish.
- Spread half of the diced potatoes in bottom of pan. Place the diced chicken breasts evenly on top. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Sprinkle with half the bacon crumbles, 1/2 cup of the cheese, and half the green onions.
- Spread the remaining diced potatoes on top, followed by the remaining bacon, another 1/2 cup cheese, remaining green onions and another 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Pour heavy cream over top of casserole and then dot with the butter. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake another 30 minutes. In the last few minutes of baking, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and bake until melted. Serve.