I’m always looking for healthier versions of classic recipes (in this case, pizza), so when I decided to combine one of my favorite veggies, eggplant, with one of my most craved unhealthy foods, pizza, it was a delicious food match made in heaven!
I hope you give the gluten free eggplant pizzas a try and enjoy it as much as John and I did (and John was quite skeptical at first)! I know it’s not pizza, but did it satisfy your craving for it? Were you impressed with how crunchy the eggplant slices can get with the gluten free breadcrumbs? Let me know in the comments below!
- 2-3 Cups of Canola Oil
- 1 Large Eggplant
- 1 Cup Ian’s Gluten Free Italian Style Breadcrumbs
- 2 Eggs
- 1 (14 oz.) can good quality petite diced tomatoes with liquid
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 (4 oz.) can of black olives (optional)
- Any other toppings you may want for your “pizza”
- Pour oil into large skillet, ensuring that you have at least ½ inch of oil in the pan. Start heating over medium heat. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut off both ends of eggplant, then cut into ¾ inch pieces, try your best to cut them the same thickness. Set aside.
- Pour breadcrumbs into a bowl and crack the eggs into a second bowl.
- Once the oil is hot enough for frying, dip eggplant pieces into the egg, generously coating every side. Then dip the eggplant into the breadcrumbs, ensuring they are fully coated before placing them in the hot oil.
- Once in the hot oil, wait until the first side turns golden brown and then flip over so both sides are evenly crunchy.
- When both sides of the eggplant are fried, remove and place on a plate layered with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Get out a baking sheet and layer it with a piece of aluminum if you have it on hand (helps with the cleanup later on). Put the fried eggplant rounds on the baking sheet and spoon several tablespoons of the diced tomatoes onto each round. Then, layer with mozzarella cheese and black olives or whatever other toppings you may want. If you don’t want any toppings, add a little extra cheese, you can never have too much cheese!
- Place eggplant pizzas into oven for 10-15 minutes. They are done once the cheese is fully melted and just starting to brown. Take out of the oven, serve, and enjoy!