Since I’ve recently gone Gluten Free, I’ve been searching for all kind of pasta-replacement meals, and the other day I was craving some baked ziti. I modified a recipe that I found for caprese quinoa, and came up with the below. It was pretty good!
Creamy Caprese Rice Bake
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 cups of your favorite pasta sauce, divided
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella, divided
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 medium sized tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 large bunch fresh basil, cut into ribbons and divided
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat 1 cup of tomato sauce and tomato paste over low heat in a large saucepan. Once warm, stir in heavy cream, Parmesan, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the rice. Stir in half of the mozzarella, half of the basil, and the grape tomatoes. Once combined, spray a 9”x9” baking dish with non-stick spray and pour the entire mixture into the dish. Top with remaining mozzarella, tomato slices, and dollops of ricotta cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes and then turn on broiler for 1-2 minutes to brown the cheese.
- Remove from the oven and wait five minutes before serving. Top each portion with a spoonful of sauce and garnish with remaining basil ribbons.