One of my absolute favorite ways to eat broccoli is in the form of broccoli casserole (a recipe passed down from my mother). I made this recently (with steak and frites, yum!) and was reminded of how delicious it was, so I felt the need to share it with all you readers. :) I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- · 1 large bag or 2 small bags of frozen broccoli heads
- · 2 townhouse cracker reams (or, if preparing this GF, use GF crackers, see my selections in the photo below)
- · 2 (4 oz.) sticks of butter
- · 2 (14 oz.) cans of cream of mushroom soup
- · 8 oz. Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put crackers into a ziplock bag to crush them. Use a meat hammer or rolling pin to fully crush all the crackers until they are in the form of crumbs.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and pour the cracker crumbs in, stirring constantly. Once the crumbs look slightly browned and crispy, take them off the heat.
- In a large casserole dish, layer half of the frozen brocolli, cream of mushroom soup, crackers, and cheddar cheese. Repeat with a second layer in the same order of the remaining ingredients.
- Bake at 350 for one hour.
Prepping our casserole for the oven and a picture of the gluten free crackers that I used:
Mmm, all done!