Now that John and I live in San Diego, where it’s prime grilling temperature pretty much year round, we’ve made an extra effort to grill more. Who doesn’t love the easy clean-up and prep of grilling? I know I do!
This recipe is one of our favorite grilled meal options, and it was really easy to switch up the ingredients to make it Gluten Free. Before going GF, we made this recipe with large buns, but since making the switch, we’ve had it served over mashed potatoes. We honestly like it over the mashed potatoes WAY better, so I recommend serving it that way. Give it a try and let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 4 (12 oz.) cans beer (I used GF beef that I found at the food store – now there’s so many different varieties, I just chose one that was a reasonable price)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 10 bratwurst (if you are GF, double check what you purchase at the store – some brats are naturally GF while others are not)
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat. When hot, lightly oil grate.
- Combine the beer and onions in a large pot. Bring to a boil.
- Submerge the bratwurst in the beer; add the red pepper flakes, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook another 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the bratwurst from the beer mixture, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking the onions.
- Cook the bratwurst on the preheated grill, turning once, 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with the beer mixture as a topping or side.
(Recipe adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/beer-brats/)